Tuesday, June 9, 2009

First Post! Yeah!

Jambo!

I'd like to begin my first post by acknowledging my first follower, Chad Kruse! Chad just graduated with a Masters in Architecture from UNL and is one of the most forward thinkers in the field of space hotel design! Thanks for your support Chad!

I've now been in Kenya for almost two weeks and have greatly enjoyed my time thus far! Isaac and Joyce Kinyanjui have been wonderful hosts introducing me to their community and making me feel part of the family while here.

Over the past week or so I've visited with many self help groups and community organizations. There's a plastics group which was started by Brad Elder, a professor from Doane, that has found a way to convert old plastic bags to tiles which can be used for roofing, flooring, and other purposes. With a little empowerment this group has gone a long way in working to improve their community! Much can be learned from their work. I look forward to sharing more on these groups when I return.

I've been drinking lots of tea with local residents and have felt very welcome and at home with all I've met. Since arriving I've attended chuch more than in the last year. I was asked by one gropu to say a prayer and since I kept it exceptionally short everyone was very impressed as prayers can be quite the lengthy affair. I may soon abandon the safety prayer and join the Anglican Church of Kenya!

Well I must be off since I'm holding up some shopping here in Nyahururu and we must return to N'gaura in time for a choir this afternoon!

Peace to all,

Jake

p.s. /\

No comments:

Post a Comment