Sunday, July 26, 2009

A beardly fairwell and thank yous!

Well kids, this is it! My last blog post before returning home. I'd like to dedicate this one to Chris Mohr for whom I've grown a giant beard in the last 2 months. It looks absolutely ridiculous so most of you will never see it but I assure you, you're not missing much!

One of the most important things I've learned over the course of the summer is the importance of community in ones life. Whether you know it or not you are surrounded by a very important community that supports you. I want to take a moment to acknowledge some within my community for what they have given me.

First and foremost, my parents. I know many parents would not be pleased when their child runs off to Africa for two months let alone three times since 2006. My parents have been the most supportive people in encouraging me to live my life to the fullest and take advantage of the gifts life has given me. Without them, none of this would have ever been possible and for this I am extremely grateful. I must also acknowledge my grandmothers, sister, step-brother, and step-sister as well as many aunts and uncles who have given me their support and encouragement as I've found my path in life.

Next, I must acknowledge Isaac, Joyce, and their wonderful family. Isaac has been very encouraging and has worked hard to make this trip a success. Joyce has been a very gracious host as my African mom and has taken care of me from day one. I've never went hungry. When I was sick she nursed me back to health. Joyce is an amazing woman and leader in her community and I'm very blessed to have been brought into her home as one of her own children for 6 weeks.

The community of Gituamba was very inviting and made me feel very at home and comfortable among its people. Whenever we encountered problems or struggles the community was there to help and I greatly look forward to my future interaction with these people.

Megan and Joey for being really fun to travel with. As you may guess, being with the same people for 6 weeks can be challenging but also more rewarding and I'm so happy they decided to join and be a part of this experience with me. I hope they will return with me again some day and I hope many of you will come as well!

Of course I must thank Chad Kruse and the 14 other followers of my blog. I know others are reading but you guys rock face!

Much thanks to Graeme and Jessica for putting me up in Chicago and Jeremy Adams-Strump for hooking me up in London!

To Inger and Yoko for being awesome peeps to work with and for their support in my adventures and undertakings!

To Zach Smith for his grammatical and spelling critiques as I've forgotten how to type and spell over the past two months.

To the students, staff, and administration of Olnguara primary school, thanks for letting us be a part of your family!

To Betty Levitov for all her inspiration.

To Jill Francke for the volumes of help she provided before, during, and no doubt after this trip as I process my experience.

To Nick Lee for watching my house and cats and Bonz for putting up with my cats all the time.

To GOD for not striking me down /\

To all the rest of my friends who make up my extended family, thank you for your support in all I do and I look forward to catching up with you all very soon!

As I've written this blog there has been so much I've had to leave out and so much I want to share with everyone. I can't wait to be home and have a chance to chat over a cup of coffee (i really miss good coffee), a beer (really miss good beer as well), or a dinner!

From Nairobi one last time,

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment