Friday, July 24, 2009

Jake: 1, Matatu Driver: 0!

The first Sunday night we spent in Kampala we were directed to the wrong matutu and ended up far from where we were supposed to be. When we realized that they were taking us to the Red Chili bar instead of the Red Chilli back packers we got out and decided to take a Boda Boda to get back. A Boda Boda is simply a motorcycle taxi that will take as many as two people plus the driver to any destination for a negotiated fee.

After we had worked two riders down to an acceptable fee we were off, Megan and Joe on one and me on the other. At some point we missed a turn and when Joe and Megans driver, who was in the lead, realized it he turned around. My driver didn't know what was happening and as he watch the other motorcycle turn around he drove straight into the curb. Fortunately I had been watching where we were going and saw this disaster coming a block away and was able to simply step of the bike and it rammed into the curb and fell to its side.

I was completely unfazed by what had happened and was surprisingly calm as the rider looked at me while his motorcycle laid on top of him and asked if I was okay! It was one of the most completely ridiculous moments of the trip. As I stood over this guy who had been dumped by his bike as he wasn't paying attention he asked if I was alright!

I'm sure he felt absolutely ridiculous in the end since neither of us had been injured by his incompetance. In the end, they took us to Chillies restaurant and we were even further away from our final destination. None-the-less, we had dinner and eventually made it home!

Just one of the many hilarious dangers you can face in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment