Monday, July 13, 2009

What the heck is a Matatu?

Sorry to say I've just realized that I've left out a very important aspect of traveling in Africa! Over the past 7 weeks I've been traveling primarily by Matatu, a 14 passenger van which serves as Africa's most used type of public transport. Matatus are quite hectic and drive very erratically making one feel as if you might die at any given moment. Each Matatu has a driver and conductor who flags down passengers and collects money. Matatus are by far the cheapest way to get around. Many of these vehicles are tagged w/ decals celebrating the presidency of Barry O!

In Kenya each Matatu is packed to the max which usually means somewhere around 20-24 people including the driver and conductor. On the 4th of July we made the trip from Nyahururu to the village on which we had 30 people in total.

Joey thoroughly hates them due to his height and I will say that I've had my fair share of uncomfortable moments with strangers. Never-the-less, the Matatu has been an important part of my travel and one I will not miss when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment